These names are from a partial index to Queensland Police Department correspondence re old age pensions and invalid pensions 1908-1952. This correspondence, held by Qld State Archives, is primarily about Queenslanders but includes some references to persons living in New South Wales and Victoria. Details shown in the original source vary enormously. Sometimes there is only a name, date and place of residence. However in many cases there are a variety of documents that are useful for genealogy and family history research. They may include:
- police replies to requests for documentary evidence of age, residence, immigration etc (required to substantiate a pension application)
- complaints by pensioners re problems with pension payments
- police reports re the death of pensioners
- letters from the Department to local police regarding alcohol consumption by pensioners
- police investigations re alleged fraud or other criminal activity by a pensioner.
Explanation of names below:
- Date range: 1908 - 1952 (but only a partial index to the correspondence).
- A question mark means that the handwriting was especially difficult to decipher, and the spelling is in doubt.
- 'Ref in file, X' means this name is mentioned in correspondence re a person named X.
- 'a.k.a.' means 'also known as'.
- Names beginning with 'Mc' precede other 'M' surnames.
- Apostrophes have been removed from names such as O'BRIEN.
- If there are several entries for a name: the same person may be mentioned several times, or there may be more than one person with the same name. The only way to find out is to consult the original source.
- Scroll through the list. Names may have been spelt incorrectly in the records.
- For names listed below, I can order copies from the original records.
- For more information about pensions, and a full list of Qld applicants for the old age pension 1908-1909, see also www.judywebster.gil.com.au/pension.html.
List of names:
ABEL - (Mr and Mrs)
AH SUN Charlie
AMBRYN Wee Wee ?
ANTHONY S (of Toowoomba)
AOBO Wennie ?
AUSTIN A J
BECK Mary Ann
BELL E A
BELL Elizabeth (of Charters Towers)
BELL J (of Peak Crossing)
BOTTING E M
BRABINER Rose M
BRIAN Jago ?
CANAVAN Harry (a.k.a. HEUSLER)
CHON KONG Charlie
CLARK A (of New Farm)
CLARKE John Palmer
COLEMAN John (of Mackay)
COLLIE - (Mrs)
COLLINS J (of Gympie)
COPLEY Catherine Mary
COWLEY H J
DANGERFIELD L J
DAVIDSON Charley (of Blair Athol)
DAVIDSON John (of Longreach)
DICKSON E A (Mrs)
DUFFY R A
EDWARDS L (of Newmarket)
FARRAR Charles Robert
FINCH Elizabeth (2 files)
GEYSE Gustave Reinhold
GOWER S J
GRAHAM D (of Southport)
HABERMANN Frederick Wilhelm
HARLOVICH - (Mrs)
HARRIS George (of Bundaberg)
HARRIS John Elijah (ref in file, HARRIS David)
HARRIS Thomas (of Rockhampton)
HARROLD J J
HARVEY Dod (ref in file, WARNER Elizabeth)
HARVEY Elizabeth (see WARNER Elizabeth)
HARVEY William (ref in file, WARNER Elizabeth)
HEUSLER Harry (see CANAVAN Harry)
HILL Charles (of Fortitude Valley)
HODGES Henry J
HOOPER Ann L
HORSLEY David Charles
KELLY William Richard
LA FOUR Joe
LOWE William (of Clermont)
LUCAS B L ?
LUCAS Beatrice Lanora
LYNCH Jeremiah (ref in file, LYNCH Daniel)
MARSHALL Robert (of Taringa)
METTHELL Charley ?
MOORE M A (of Woolloongabba)
MOORE Mary Ann
NELSON William (of Rockhampton North)
OBRIEN Thomas (of Beaudesert)
ODONNELL Francis Nicholas
PALMER William Henry
PECK A M
PECK Annie Margaret
PENDLEBURY William Henry ?
POLZIN - (wife of John) (ref in file, GENRICH Ernest)
QUINN James (of Gayndah or Eidsvold)
RAINS F E (ref in file, TAYLOR Robert)
ROWINA Dick (2 files)
RUSSELL John (of Gayndah or Eidsvold)
RYAN Edward (of Longreach)
SAM Dorothy (2 files)
SMITH Susan (2 files)
SOUTH Elwin Egerton
TARRAKA Thomas ?
THOMPSON William (of Charters Towers)
TUMINE William ?
TUNDER Jipo ?
WALSH George (brother of Henry Alfred)
WARD Edward (died 1908)
WARD M (of Toowong)
WARD Mary ?
WATKINS David (multiple files)
WEISE E L
WILLIAMS Billy (of South Kolan)
WILSON I J ?
WOOLFRIES M A
WRIGHT J J (ref in file, WRIGHT Sarah Ann)
WRIGHT Sarah Ann
YASSERIE Serim ?
ZUTTERLAND Charles Joseph
* More information about pensions
|Copying service. Allow up to 8 weeks for a reply; I am often away for family reasons.|
As a professional genealogist, I can provide a photocopy from the original source. The fee is 'per entry', not 'per name', so if the same name is listed twice, that is two entries. The cost of photocopies depends on the number of pages and the time involved. The size of each item varies from one page to about thirty pages. If it costs more than your deposit, I can invoice you for the balance. If it costs less, the surplus is refundable.
* If you live in Australia: minimum deposit $20 per entry (including postage).
* If you live overseas: minimum deposit AUD$22 per entry (including postage).
See the list of payment methods available (my address is on that page).