South-West Queensland Local History
© Copyright Judy Webster. Minor update 24 Apr 2012.
The geographical area covered by my private collection is essentially Paroo and Bulloo Shires. It includes the towns and districts of Cunnamulla, Eulo, Thargomindah, Wyandra and Hungerford, the former border town of Wooroorooka, the southern part of the Warrego District, and rural properties in those areas.
|My new email address has been on my Web site for a while, but to see it you may need to refresh/reload the page. My Web pages are moving to my own domain, www.judywebster.com.au.|
Contents of the collection
- Copies and transcripts of primary and secondary sources (including headstones, burial registers, certificates, electoral rolls, post office and livestock brand directories, petitions, maps, inquests, council rate books, court and police station records, newspapers, war memorials, church memorial plaques, school registers, published local histories, wills, land records, business records, personal letters and diaries, family files etc.)
- Photographs of people and places in south-west Qld, and of some headstones in Cunnamulla cemetery; plus information about relevant photographs in various publications.
- Local families contact file, from submitted family data.
- Indexes to headstones, burial registers, newspapers, published local histories, and various sources held by Qld State Archives and elsewhere (mainly name indexes, but some material has been indexed by placename / subject).
South-west Qld people
- Index to Persons Arrested and Victims of Crime - South-West Qld, 1889-1904, which covers Cunnamulla, Thargomindah, Eulo, Hungerford, Nocundra, Wooroorooka and Wyandra 1901-1904 plus Charleville, Adavale, Augathella, Eromanga and Morven 1889-1903 & 1901-1904.
Aims of the project
- create a reference collection re people, places, businesses, subjects and events in Paroo/Bulloo Shires
- compile finding aids such as indexes and guides to facilitate use of the collection
- provide a search service
- publish appropriate material such as cemetery transcripts, indexes, and finding aids
- compile a bibliography of sources for local historical and genealogical research
- compile a biographical register of people who lived here (at any time, and however briefly)
- encourage donations of relevant historical material
Local Families Contact File
If you have biographical details for anyone who lived in this part of south-west Qld (in any time period), I will add the details to my Local Families Contact File. Compiled from data forms submitted by family historians and local residents, it has already helped me to link up two family historians, previously unknown to each other but both researching the same family. Use the special data form to register your south-west Qld research interests (free of charge).
For a select list of sources relating to Cunnamulla held by Qld State Archives, see the book 'Signposts: Cunnamulla' (available from Qld State Archives, PO Box 1379, Sunnybank Hills QLD 4109). I am indexing some of those sources.
Donate suitable material to the collection
I am happy to accept copies of items such as certificates, newsclippings, letters, diaries or other documents; pre-1932 local newspapers; photographs of local people or places; and written or taped reminiscences, such as descriptions of people, places, events and everyday life in south-west Qld (past or present). Please do not send any irreplaceable original items in the post, and before sending scanned images, contact me at (type this address into an email) to ask what formats and file sizes I can accept. Send donated copies to SWQ Project, c/- Judy Webster, PO Box 5043, Algester QLD 4115, Australia.
Administration and funding
All clerical, administrative and research tasks are handled by just one person (me). The project receives no sponsorship, and is funded out of my own pocket. Expenses include the purchase of published local histories, photocopies of records held by archives and libraries, and storage facilities.
© Copyright Judy Webster. All graphics are copyright. The banner & icons on my pages are by Kerrie Franklin Designs, Iconz, A+Art, Jelane's Free Web Graphics, Carol's Clipart, MousePad Genealogy Graphics or Graphics by Bimsan (follow links to their sites for information).